Today, Microsoft hammered the final nail in the coffin of its ill-fated Nokia acquisition, announcing the sacking of almost 2,000 employees. The software maker is "streamlining" its smartphone business, writing off $950 million and cutting 1,850 jobs. This restructuring will cost Microsoft around $950 million, just over a fifth of which will relate to severance payments.
Nokia recently announced a return to consumer electronics, with the company selling an Android phone to go alongside its N1 tablet and wearables from the French wellness technology firm Withings, which was recently acquired by Nokia. The remaining 500 affected staff will are based "globally".
Microsoft's smartphone business has been having a rough time lately.
Just when we thought Microsoft has started thinking about its Windows 7 and 8.1 users, it's back to bite us again. "We will continue to innovate across devices and on our cloud services across all mobile platforms". However, it appears that phone sales weren't up to par. In a super sneaky way, Microsoft has redesigned this pop-up which alters the way users have previously interacted with it. Now, when you click to close the pop-up, it essentially means that you AGREE to install Windows 10 on your system.
Upgrading to Windows 10 isn't exactly rocket science when you have to do it on your home computer, but when it comes to organizations that have to deploy the new operating system on tens or maybe hundreds of PCs, the whole thing becomes a little bit more complicated. Does it make sense? All we know at this point is that sometime in the future Microsoft will be implementing "Double Tap to Wake" on compatible devices sometime in the future, presumably on Lumia 950 and 950 XL.
- 'The Voice' 2016 finale victor : Powerhouse Alisan Porter
- Liveblog: 2016 Texas Primary Runoff Results
- Candace Payne in Chewbacca mask hits Facebook Live record
- Lakers, 76ers to trade picks for star veterans
- Red Dead Redemption 2 And GTA 6 Release Date E3 2016
- Oakland Raiders to Las Vegas gains another supporter
- Philadelphia 76ers Joel Embiid Scan Results: "Fantastic"
- The Vampire Diaries Spoilers Season 8 Might Be The End
- Alvaro Morata wants Arsenal transfer
- Dallas Cowboys guard Leary misses voluntary off-season workout