Even though the tax deadline has come and gone, scammers continue to use varied strategies to trick people, in this case students.
The Parsippany-Troy Hills Police Department has been getting a large amount of calls regarding someone calling and claiming to be from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
These calls involve fake IRS personnel calling the victim and advising them that they have failed to pay their taxes properly and owe the US government "X" amount of dollars.
If the victim does not fall quickly enough for this fake "federal student tax", the scammer threatens to report the student to the police.
"It's all a big scam", Saraiva told Patch."Residents should just hang up the phone". Nor will the Department of the Treasury demand that anyone pay a debt or secure one by using iTunes cards or other prepaid debit cards..
The Fayetteville Observer (http://bit.ly/1TElH1L) reports residents of Fayetteville, Cumberland and surrounding counties have also swamped lawmen this week with hundreds of reports about these calls.
Remember: There is no federal student tax, and the real IRS will not demand that you pay taxes using gift cards, deposits to strangers' bank accounts, or wire transfers.
Neither the Sheriff's Office nor the IRS will call you and demand immediate payment.
According to a release from the Bridgewater Township Police, the IRS will not seek to collect back or overdue tax liabilities via the phone, email or social media.
Do not give out any personal information.
- 500 migrants saved from drowning
- Microsoft Backtracks Over 'Sneaky' Windows 10 Upgrade Notification
- Microsoft Is Demolishing Its Smartphone Business
- Microsoft Corporation Teasing Possible New Console Announcement for E3 2016
- Manchester Unitedtd top all-time Premier League prize money chart
- NFL Awards 2021 Super Bowl LV to Los Angeles
- Lakers, 76ers to trade picks for star veterans
- Microsoft denies forcing Windows 10 upgrade
- First bacteria resistant to all antibiotics found in U.S. woman
- 'The Voice' 2016: Who Won the Season 10 Finale?