Trump has been on the defense since tweeting Sunday that he did not need congratulations for being "right" about the Orlando nightclub shooting.
"Mr. Trump's message isn't entirely about being tough, it's about being smart, vigilant and talking about the hard subjects in order to produce common sense solutions for all Americans", Lewandowski told NBC News.
Trump went on to call for a strengthening of intelligence and immigration communities and called for President Obama to release the immigration histories of all individuals implicated in terrorist activities.
"The killer whose name I will not use or ever say was born in Afghan of Afghan parents who emigrated to the United States".
Hours after the Orlando shooting, Trump tweeted: "What has happened in Orlando is just the beginning". "What I won't do, because I think it is risky for our efforts to defeat this threat, is to demonize and demagogue and, you know, declare war on an entire religion".
After terrorists launched coordinated attacks in Paris last November, Trump quickly deplored the city for having "the toughest gun laws in the world".
Trump has blasted Obama as "weak" and ineffectual, and suggested he'd be more aggressive in going after the Islamic State.
- Microsoft makes Dona Sarkar head of Windows 10 Insider Program
- Microsoft Surface Phone Won't Have An Expiry Date
- Chill coffee beans for a more flavorsome brew, say scientists
- Microsoft's Outlook and Hotmail spam filters are now broken
- What we know about Omar Mateen, suspected Orlando nightclub shooter
- Microsoft to release Windows 10 Mobile version of Authenticator app
- Male victim in Mesa shooting stopped truck at scene
- Miners find 500-year-old shipwreck filled with gold in desert
- Kid destroys $15000 Lego creation, but that's not the worst part
- Sea lice popping up along Florida beaches