"Two years ago I lost in the final against Serena and she told me one day I was going to win", she added.
Watching her charge from the customary Centre Court territory of the players' box, in this match as in others this Fortnight, she could be heard urging on Muguruza with cries of: "Grande!" - not only applause for a literal "big" shot, but more importantly an instruction to continue in that vein.
But losing the first set proved a fatal blow to her dream as the younger woman broke in the opening game of the second set before racing away with six straight games in the second set to claim the title in emphatic fashion by breaking the Williams serve almost at will.
There is already talk of Muguruza as a future world No 1, but the Spaniard, who will jump 10 places in the rankings on Monday to No 5, said she was more interested in winning the biggest tournaments. The key is to continue to work hard and to focus in every tournament.
People drink champagne with a strawberry in at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London, June 29, 2015.
"Not everybody can do that", said the woman who was only seven years old when Williams beat Lindsay Davenport in the Millennium year final.
"She's going to have more experience", said the 45-year-old.
"I think it's very impressive". I like to win.
"For me, it's incredible".
"I always come very motivated to the grand slams", Muguruza said. How curious it was that then, as now, an attempt to become the oldest winner of the title since Charlotte Cooper Sterry in 1908 should be stymied by a Spaniard. Muguruza built up to clinching the set on a defensive lob which kissed a far corner, yielding two set points.
Ticket prices of 155 pounds ($203.08) for the women's final and 190 pounds ($248.94) for the men's final can certainly be justified in the current entertainment market but the matches hardly brought bang for the buck. "It's really good to have a good group of juniors pushing each other". I feel like I have joined an incredible, historic club.
With Muguruza's full-time coach Sam Sumyk back home awaiting the birth of his child, Fed Cup captain Martinez stepped in.
- Ruge la Pantera Rosa de Checo Pérez; saldrá 6º
- Macri lanza por decreto créditos para beneficiarios de AUH
- Propone Sudcorea a la RPDC realizar conversaciones militares para reducir tensiones
- Marcelo y Susana, juntos
- Batucada y principio de motín en una cárcel de mujeres
- Nairo Quintana lamenta su discreta actuación en el Tour de Francia
- Bottas marcó el ritmo de los ensayos en Silverstone
- Volvió al Mónaco, 4 minutos en cancha y gol — Falcao García
- Mexico Vs. Jamaica Live Stream: Watch CONCACAF Gold Cup Game Online
- Pampita se enojó con Paoloski por la trivia de colas