EPA/FACUNDO ARRIZABALAGARoger Federer of Switzerland kisses the championship trophy following his victory over Marin Cilic of Croatia in the men's final of the Wimbledon Championships at the All England Lawn Tennis Club, in London, Britain, 16 July 2017.
He is not the oldest grand slam winner in tennis history.
The Swiss is the most successful Grand Slam winners of all times because today's title was his 19th title. His serve is better, as are his volleys and his inclination to move to the net. The larger racket, for example, or the increased willingness to hit over the top on his backhand.
After an even start, Cilic failed to capitalise on a break point at 2-2 in the first set. Federer will be playing in his 29th Grand Slam final, tying him with Serena Williams for the fourth-most all-time among the men and women. Amid the Wimbledon quarterfinals, Cilic took Federer into five sets.
Do you ever have any question about anything you wish to ask and get answer?
Federer's cause was helped by Cilic's struggles with a foot injury and at one stage the Croatian was in tears between points. His adversary, No. 7-seeded Cilic, is showing up in recently his second Grand Slam last. It was also tough because of my own team. Melo won the 2015 French Open with Ivan Dodig.
"It's great, but it doesn't give me the title quite yet". It will be broadcast on ESPN (U.S.) and BBC (UK). That can stress you out a tad.
"I still felt the pain. But I believe I'm ready", he added. It wasn't that they wanted Cilic to win. At 5-3, the Swiss produced a stunning forehand flicked pass that had the 15,000 spectators on Centre Court gasping, and moments later he served out victory in his 42nd Grand Slam semi-final. So this is something I was working towards. He's nearly two metres tall. But otherwise, you know, it didn't hurt so much that it was putting me in tears.
Garbine Muguruza already knew what it's like to lose to a Williams in the Wimbledon final.
- The fame hasn't gone to his head, though, so if you're at Wimbledon you might be lucky enough to get a picture with the star of the show.
"This is his home court, the place where he feels the best and knows that he can play the best game", Cilic said.
Cilic said the blister had surfaced during his run to the final, which included a long five-setter against Gilles Muller of Luxembourg in the quarter-finals. Instead, the regal Federer recovered his poise, broke himself in the sixth game and ultimately took the first set 6-3 in just 36 minutes. Honestly, a fantastic achievement for one of the best, if not the best player in history.
- His work should not be underestimated - the lush grass courts are heaven for pigeons, so Rufus' efforts ensure the surfaces remain in the best possible condition.
Roger Federer edged Marin Cilic in 2016 despite losing the first two sets. On the other hand, the third seed had little trouble beating Raonic in his last-eight match. He was up against another giant killer, this time Sam Querrey, who had defeated Andy Murray in the previous round.
This season Federer has won four tournaments - the Australian Open, the Masters 1,000 at Indian Wells and Miami, and the Halle Open for the ninth time.
- Sin el Giro hubiera estado al 100% en el Tour — Quintana
- Oblitas destacó "altísima participación" de venezolanos en simulacro electoral — VENEZUELA
- Fue a operarse de cataratas y le hallaron 27 lentes de contacto
- Preview: Mariners at White Sox
- Aprobarían regidores línea de crédito por hasta 2 mil millones de pesos
- Consulta popular y simulacro constituyente en Venezuela
- Tiene 12 años y confesó haber matado a un "transa" — Lanús
- Opacidad en tarjetas de crédito
- Espinoza es nuevo jugador de Boca
- Encuentran 44 mil 076 plazas con irregularidades, serán reasignadas: SEP