Fulmer (2-1) had the benefit of a five-run Sox inning off Giants starter Madison Bumgarner (3-8), the one-time Giants World Series star of 2014 who has missed half the season after injuring his left shoulder in a dirt bike mishap in April.
Abreu hit his 30th and 31st home runs of the season to help the White Sox outscore the Giants 21-2 in winning the final two games in the three-game series. Chicago starter James Shields was at the top of his game with the lone run given up on two hits and a pair of walks allowed over seven innings. The 23-year-old right-hander allowed one run on three hits, striking out nine in six innings.
When September doesn't mean a pennant race, it becomes evaluation time for a team - and perhaps the best month to evaluate up-and-coming talent.
Their only two runs in the last two games came on solo homers by Nick Hundley (on Saturday) and Jarrett Parker (on Sunday). I think I'd take a small shot at the over with a gun to my head...
The White Sox, last in the American League, won their second interleague series of the season after beating the San Diego Padres in mid-May.
The Giants, who have the second-worst record in the majors, were looking to win their first road series since they swept the Pirates June 30-July 2.
Rookie Lucas Giolito struck out a career-high 10 batters in his last start on Sunday versus the Rays. He said after the start that he "was able to command everything that I had". Hammel pitched at least six innings in each of his last five starts and at least five innings in his last 18.
And yet cruelly, the evidence continues to pile up. I talked to Ricky and our management.
Giants: RHP Chris Stratton (2-3, 4.10 ERA) will oppose Dodgers RHP Kenta Maeda (12-6, 4.02 ERA) in the opener of a three-game series in San Francisco.
"This is as consistent an approach as I've seen of anyone in the big leagues, " Renteria said of Abreu, who is 10 short of another 100 RBI season. I lost my rhythm with the days I was off and I'm regaining it again, " he said.
The Giants are having a terrible season.
Jose Abreu has posted a 1.121 OPS in interleague play this season, the highest interleague OPS by a White Sox player in a single season (minimum 50 plate appearances) since Jermaine Dye in 2008 (1.212).
- Vuelca camión con víveres para damnificados y civiles se los roban (+fotos)
- Chacarita y Tigre empataron en un partido vibrante bajo la lluvia
- Nicolás Maduro amenaza con convertirse en dictador para lograr "la paz económica"
- Vicepresidente Pence promete a Florida apoyo para recuperarse de huracán Irma
- Este es el vehículo eléctrico más bello del mundo (+fotos)
- Xiaomi Mi Note 3 Promotional Picture Leaked on Weibo
- Kudelka define el equipo que visitará a Godoy Cruz
- Netanyahu visita la Argentina junto a empresarios
- 28.000 personas dijeron querer reunirse para disparar al huracán Irma — Facebook
- Buscan en Puebla a estudiante desaparecida