"First of all, what I told the president is that this is about saving lives, this is not about politics", she told the Miami reporter.
Early Wednesday morning, Trump took to Twitter to call the trip a "great day" and bemoan some of the "fake" news coverage. Henry Pichardo, who runs a solar installation firm in the city of Bayamon, thinks the storm could drive up his business 20 percent a year. Saying, "He's sort of like miscommunicator-in-chief". The federal response has drawn criticism and the administration has aggressively pushed back.
Cruz told Ramos she wore the shirt because "it was one of the expressions that the president used to describe me". Trump complimented many officials on the island and the way they handled the aftermath, but left Cruz out. He called briefings and meetings and insisted that helping Puerto Ricans was a top priority.
San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz arrives at the San Francisco hospital during the evacuation of patients after an electrical plant failure, in San Juan, Puerto Rico, Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017. You know, they owe a lot of money to your friends on Wall Street. We're going to have to wipe that out.
Who does that? What planet is this man from?
Those financial obligations - combined with bureaucratic inertia, population decline and lack of economic opportunity - hobbled the island's ability to pay for basic services such as public safety and health care. Only 10.7 percent of the island's cell phone towers are working.
"I would say that the debt is secondary, that human life comes first", says Yvette Nevares, a boutique hotel manager in San Juan.
Committee Chairman Rob Bishop said in a press call on Wednesday that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and other federal partners will also likely be engaged for years in helping Puerto Rico get back on its feet.
Still, he said, that was enough to keep the power on, and the nursery did not "have to worry about trees falling on the power lines". Adding that the news has "been witness to everything we are saying".
President Trump on Tuesday raised the prospect of wiping out hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico's crushing debt load.
- ¿Línea de 3 o 4? Jorge Sampaoli sorprendió con un nuevo equipo
- Miles de españoles marchan contra la independencia catalana
- Sampaoli probó con un cambio de esquema en el segundo turno
- Una multitud marcha en contra de la independencia de Cataluña — España
- Erbil y Bagdad buscan diálogo tras referéndum de independencia
- WWE Hell in a Cell 2017: Las batallas y los resultados
- Trump says Puerto Rico has thrown the budget 'out of whack'
- 'Ticos' llegan para apoyar a su equipo y turismo de compras
- Daniel Ricciardo pranks Lewis Hamilton with Instagram takeover
- Argentinos superó a Chacarita en el encuentro que tenían pendiente